To suggest an event, please click here to send us an email.
- This event has passed.
Rise Up and Walk: Catholicism and Health Care Across the Globe
April 17 - April 19Free
The Catholic Church is perhaps the largest provider of health care in the world. From sophisticated Catholic hospital systems to small rural clinics, the Church continues the legacy of healing begun by Jesus. Today, however, the gap between technologically advanced medicine and the needs of the desperately poor continues to widen.
This conference will address some of the most pressing issues facing Catholic health care providers around the globe and brings together speakers from Uganda, India, Ecuador, South Korea, the U.S., Canada, Brazil, Mexico, and Zambia. Panels will discuss
- Catholic health care services and strategies
- biblical and theological narratives of health and healing
- the relationship between Western and non-Western traditions of medicine
- healing trauma and invisible wounds
- Catholic partnerships between the global South and global North
Sr. Carol Keehan, DC
- Immediate Past President/CEO of the Catholic Health Association
- Member of the National Academy of Medicine
- Award-winning journalist & host of CBC Radio One’s “Ideas” (Toronto)
- Author of Ideas on the Nature of Science
Organized by DePaul University’s Center for World Catholicism & Intercultural Theology (CWCIT), World Catholicism Week is now in its 12th year; an annual event, it gathers scholars from around the world to explore a single topic.
Free & open to the public, advance registration required.